No-Mayo Coleslaw and Cutlet

Vegan Coleslaw and Cutlet

The Veganomicon favourite recipe – The ever-so-famous Chickpea Cutlets, have probably hit a good number of vegan kitchens and probably loved by a number of non-vegans alike! Believe it or not, I had never tried the recipe before. Not that I didn’t want to, I was infact dying to try it one day. One day when I’d find vital wheat gluten! That’s right, the only ingredient that has prevented me from trying this legendary recipe all this time. Although I could have ordered wheat gluten online while I was in Ireland, it was oh so expensive! So, I passed and just substituted for cornstarch in my cutlets. They were actually good too and that made them gluten-free. But I really wanted to try what these awesome cutlets was like with the gluten. I finally found vital wheat gluten in the health shops close to my place. I was reluctant to buy it as gluten isn’t that great for the body but I don’t particularly have any issues when consuming it.
So, I’ll just limit myself on consuming too much of it.

I don’t usually follow recipes to the letter though and I did tweak the cutlet recipe a little because I neither had any vegetable broth nor sage. So, I used water and oregano instead as substitutes. And they worked perfectly! At last I could taste the famous Chickpea Cutlets over a bed of coleslaw. I loved the texture which was less beany, different from the cornstarch substitute.

I made the coleslaw dressing with no mayo. I’m having a hard time finding vegan mayonnaise that doesn’t contain mustard over here. So, I made a mayo-free dressing which didn’t lack in taste. I don’t actually like raisins in my coleslaw; pineapple tasted a lot better and was refreshing!

Easy No-Mayo Coleslaw

2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
1 medium carrot, cut into fine julienne
1/4 cup fresh pineapple
1/2 avocado, mashed
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
Salt to taste

Mix sugar with shredded cabbage and let marinade for 15 minutes. Drain, discard liquid and place cabbage in a salad bowl.
Add rest of ingredients, toss and mix well. Let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.

That’s it!

Hope you enjoy!

By the way, the Zinio Giveaway is still on, 3 days left to enter. Don’t miss your chance, go here to enter.

You may also like

10 Comments

• Joey
    February 11, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I do like the occasional bit of seitan but wheat gluten does tend to make it even more of an occasional thing!

I like the look of these though. Just need to get some wheat gluten in first before I can make them!

• Lovlie
      February 12, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Wheat gluten has been quite a treasure hunt for me all this time. Even after getting some, I still find it a little pricey. So, using it will probably be still an occasional thing for me too!

• Millie
    February 12, 2013 at 2:01 am

Hi Veganlovlie, how are you doing? I must say I haven’t yet tried chickpea cutlets but I must try it soon, it sounds delicious.

• Lovlie
      February 12, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Hi Millie, I’m doing all well over here. Yes, you should give those cutlets a try, they are really tasty and I like the texture a lot.

• Rooted Vegan
    February 12, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Looks divine!

• Lovlie
      February 12, 2013 at 7:24 pm

They were absolutely divine indeed! I would recommend them and can’t wait to make some non-vegans try them!

• Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche
    February 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Just found your blog and I’m absolutely loving it! Can’t believe I haven’t found it before. My blog’s veggie rather than vegan, but I really like cooking vegan fairly often so I’ll definitely be using some of your recipes πŸ™‚ I’ve just been on a bit of a pinning spree from your blog! πŸ˜‰

• Lovlie
      February 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Becca, just had a look at your blog, I think I’ve been on it before. I’m glad I’ve found it again! You’ve got some nice inspiring recipes there! Following your awesome food boards on Pinterest! πŸ™‚ Wow, I’m having a visual food overdose!

• Emily
    February 15, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I just found your website today and am in awe! I’ve never thought about using pineapple in coleslaw and I’m so excited to find such healthy, vegan recipes. I can’t wait to try this recipe out.

• greenmandarin
    April 27, 2013 at 2:09 am

mmmm I love these, I should make them again soon! You are in Canada now! Exciting πŸ™‚ We aren’t far from you really, we are stateside now in Minnesota! Toronto has amazing vegan stores that also deliver online I guess. -ashleigh

Comments are closed here.

Catch us Elsewhere

Join the Veganlovlie Cocoon!

Never miss out. Receive Mauritian-fusion recipes, cooking tips & other resources.

Nifty Tools in Our Kitchen