Aubergine and Mushroom Lasagna
9 lasagna sheets
1 big aubergine sliced
Hoi Sin sauce (vegan)
250g fresh sliced mushrooms (of your choice, I used a mixed of oyster mushrooms and the normal white ones)
100g fresh spinach leaves
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tins (800g) of tomato puree
1 medium sized chopped onion
1 teaspoon olive oil
Dried basil or thyme
Salt to taste
1 big jar (500g) pasta sauce of your choice
Halved black olives
Chopped spinach leaves
Prepare the aubergine:
- Lightly coat each sliced aubergine in the Hoi Sin sauce and sprinkle some salt
- In a non-stick pan, shallow fry the aubergine slices in the vegetable oil for about 5-7min turning occasionally.
- Remove from heat, set aside.
Make the sauce:
(You can omit this step to save time if you are using pasta sauce)
- In the same pan, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Add the onions, allow to brown a little.
- Pour in the tomato puree
- Add salt and basil or thyme
Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius
We are going to use the sauce in 6 parts so you have an idea how much to use for each layer that requires it.
- Pour a bit of sauce in the bottom of a lasagna dish approximately 23cm x 30cm (9×12 inch).