Fruity Romaine Lettuce Smoothie
While romaine lettuce would probably not be able to compete with kale on nutritional value, it has however quite a good amount of nutrients. It is infact a complete protein having all 8 amino acids needed in our body! Wow, that’s good news!
I do like to include greens in my smoothies. Usually kale or spinach find their way in most them, but it is good to rotate your green smoothies. This way I can get a variety of nutrients from different plant sources, since each type of green has different nutrients.
My previous kale and cranberry smoothie has been my all time favourite green smoothie. But for a change, I tried romaine lettuce today and the mild flavour blends well with anything.
So, what goodies are in romaine lettuce?
A cup of romaine lettuce provides 2 grams of carbs, 1 gram of protein, 4% (of your daily value of) dietary fiber, 82% (of your daily value of) vitamin A, 60% of vitamin K, 19% vitamin C, 16% folate, 4% (of your daily value of) manganese, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc (2 to 3% of your DV range).
The Vitamin C & Beta-Carotene provides many heart health benefits, prevents the oxidation of cholesterol and reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
The folic acid helps keep blood vessels healthy and also reduces the risk of heart attacks and stroke.
The potassium helps lower high blood pressure, improves muscle strength and boosts muscle building.
Fiber contributes to heart health benefits and removes bile salts (which requires cholesterol, thereby lowering high cholesterol as well).
So, I that’s pretty much more than a winner green for me!
I wanted to be a little fancier with my smoothie today, so I made a layered one! But you can just blend everything together; it will still taste great!
Ingredients (serves 2)
4 leaves romaine lettuce, chopped into fine ribbons
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 cup pineapple, small diced
1 apple, peeled and finely chopped
3 medjool dates (more if required to taste)
Water as needed for blending
- Soak the medjool dates for about 10 minutes in warm water until they are soft. Finely chop them.
- Divide the apple pieces and dates into 3 equal portions.
- Blend each layer separately, starting with the romaine lettuce.
- Add a portion of apple and dates with the romaine lettuce and water. Blend until liquid.
- Pour in glasses.
- Next blend the pineapple with another portion of apple and dates. Add water as required to reach desired consistency.
- Pour on top of the green layer.
- Lastly blend the remaining portion of apples and dates with the carrot. Add water as required to reach desired consistency.
- Pour on top of the pineapple layer.
- Garnish with a mint leaf.
This smoothie taste great even stirred altogether.