Sweet Yellow Rice à l’Ananas et Noix de Coco
I could have called this Sweet Yellow Rice with Pineapple and Coconut but I want something more exotic! So I’ve baptised this recipe Sweet Rice à l’Ananas et Noix de Coco. Now that’s exotic! Sweet yellow rice is something my mum used to make when I was a kid as an after school snack (and even when I wasn’t a kid anymore!). It was a nice change from rice pudding. From time to time I get a little craving for this. But this time, I thought pineapple and coconut would work well in this. Traditionally, mum used to make this with raisins and almonds (unaware I was allergic to nuts at that time; in consequence I always had runny itchy nose, sore throat, colds and flu and sometimes more severe symptoms; we just assumed I was a sickly child).
I am using uncooked rice from scratch in the recipe, but I most of the time make this with left-over cooked rice. Just make sure you cook the rice until still firm and whole, not mushy.
- 1 cup (200g) basmati rice
- 1 cup (150g) demerara sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1 cup (200g) diced pineapple (approximate)
- ½ cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 10 cardamom pods
- ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ teaspoon curcuma powder (or yellow food color)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup (100ml) coconut milk (or soy milk)
- Rinse rice to clean it. Drain.
- Place rice in a stock pot or deep pan, fill with enough water to cover the rice. Water level should be about 3 inches (approximately 8 cm) above rice. If using a rice cooker, add 1¾ cups water and set to cook.
- Rice should be cooked after 15 - 17 minutes (if using basmati rice). Test the grains, they should still be firm but well cooked inside.
- Remove from heat, drain and wash with cold water. Drain. Set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, add coconut oil.
- Place pineapple with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Cook on medium heat for about 7 - 8 minutes or until pineapple is cooked. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add in cardomom pods. Roast a little.
- Then add rice a little at a time, stirring to coat each grain with the oil.
- Add cinnamon and sprinkle with cucurma powder. Mix well.
- Add sugar. Stir and mix well.
- Add raisins.
- Then pour in the coconut milk. Reduce heat and mix well. It will be quickly absorbed.Lastly add desiccated coconut.
- Serve warm.
This recipe has been featured on Yummly