I was short of inspiration this morning as to what to cook for lunch or brunch rather. I started rummaging through the kitchen in search of something that would really satisfy me. I was having one of these days where nothing seemed good enough to eat. Then, I saw this packet of couscous! And that was it! I haven’t had couscous for a while so I just tossed in some veggies and voilà! In less than 20 minutes my veggie couscous was ready.
I didn’t spend much time calculating the exact measure of each ingredient. But this is very customizable anyway.
40g uncooked couscous (or 1/3 cup)
½ teaspoon ground coriander seeds
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small carrot
80g boiled chick peas (1/3 of a can drained) – Keep the rest for other uses
50g sweet corn (frozen or canned)
3-4 pitted black olives
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a non-stick pan, pour 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Add the carrots and sweet corn.
- Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chick peas and stir twice; set aside.
- In the same pan, bring the water to boil.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil, couscous and coriander seeds.
- On low heat, allow the couscous to absorb the water.
- Turn off heat and allow the couscous to cool a little.
- Separate the grains with a fork
- Add the vegetables, black olives, salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with some salad leaves.