I’ve been away from the blogging world for so long but what can I say, I haven’t forgotten about you. So, Happy Belated New Year to all of you!
I do read your blogs although I am not blogging myself and commenting. Now that the holiday season is over, I am very much looking forward into coming back to photographing and blogging gear. I never cease to cook or bake (of course!) but it takes a bit of organisation to get the recipes posted with a picture. I really do miss blogging, it’s a part of me now…
Anyway, onto the Daring Cooks Challenge.
THE DARING COOKS JANUARY 2010 CHALLENGE: TOFU SATAY
It was an easy challenge. I had all ingredients at home and the recipe did not need any veganising. I used tofu. The only change I made was the Peanut Sauce. I am allergic to peanuts (and all other nuts and seeds, for the moment! I’m am sure there exist some cures somewhere for all allergies and I am keeping the faith!).
So, I only substituted the peanut butter for boiled butter beans in the original recipe below. It was pretty good, very close to the taste of satay peanut sauce.
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 T ginger root, chopped (optional) (2 cm cubed)
2 T lemon juice (1 oz or 30 mls)
1 T soy sauce (0.5 oz or 15 mls)
1 tsp ground coriander (5 mls)
1 tsp ground cumin (5 mls)
1/2 tsp ground turmeric (2-2.5 mls)
2 T vegetable oil (or peanut or olive oil) (30 mls)
1 block firm tofu (8.8 oz or 250g)
- Blend everything except tofu in a blender. (I used a hand blender).*
- Cut tofu into strips.
- Cover tofu strips with marinade and place in a bowl.
- Cover with cling film and leave to marinade for 20 minutes.
- Pan fry (in a non-stick fry pan) with a little oil until sides are golden and slightly crisp.
* I found the marinade a bit dry so I added some rice milk to the mixture.
Nut-free ‘Peanut’ Sauce or Butter Bean Sauce
3/4 cup coconut milk (6 oz or 180 mls)
4 Tbsp pureed boiled butter beans (2 oz or 60 mls)
1 Tbsp lemon juice (0.5 oz or 15 mls)
1 Tbsp soy sauce (0.5 oz or 15 mls)
1 tsp brown sugar (5 mls)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (2.5 mls)
1/2 tsp ground coriander (2.5 mls)
1-2 dried red chilies, chopped (keep the seeds for heat)
- Mix coconut milk and pureed butter beans. (I found it easier to use a hand blender for this)
- Pour in a heated saucepan and heat for 2 minutes.
- Add rest of ingredients, mix well. Remove from heat.
- Serve with the tofu.