Mauritian-style mashed aubergine or eggplant with potato is made in a skillet where thinly sliced aubergine are braised until they disintegrate into a flavourful puree. Potatoes are cooked at the same time in the pan and release their starch to make a really creamy delicious dish.
You could omit the potato for this recipe but I like incorporating them as they provide a creamy texture to the aubergine puree. Aubergine cooked in this way uses very little oil.
If you want to substitute the oil with water you can do, but the oil does contribute in releasing the flavour using the braising method of cooking, as the aubergine is lightly charred in the pan.
Look for tender aubergine with soft flesh. They will cook faster, will be creamier and easier to mash.
Mashed aubergine with potato is often served as a side dish along with a few other condiments. In my previous post, I’ve shared a photo of my meal where this Mashed Aubergine with Potato is served alongside Butter Beans in Tomato Sauce, Coconut Chutney and Watercress Soup. It was a really wholesome dinner!
Mauritian Mashed Aubergine with Potato
- 2 medium aubergines
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger, or one thumb size, grated or minced, see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin , or garam masala, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes, optional
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tomato, chopped into chunky pieces
- Water as needed for cooking
- Salt to taste
- Peel the aubergines. Cut into thin pieces 4-5 cm in length. Set aside.
- In a deep thick-base pan or skillet, on low heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cumin or garam masala and chilli flakes then add in the aubergines and potatoes.
- Add salt to taste (3/4 teaspoon, don’t be misguided by the volume of the vegetables at this stage. Always add less salt and add more later on if required).
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Occasionally, stir and add water if required to help the aubergine to soften.
- Mash the aubergine with a wooden spoon in the pan while cooking every now and then to help it become a puree.
- The aubergine will gradually change colour to brown. Take care not to burn it. Keep adding water as needed to thoroughly cook the aubergine and potatoes.
- Test whether potatoes are cooked and soft.
- Once potatoes are cooked, add in the tomatoes and stir. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until tomatoes are lightly disintegrated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Turn off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves.
Love this Mauritian Mashed Aubergine with Potato recipe? Pin it for later.
And while you’re on Pinterest, come follow us and pin along with us.
Edit – March 12, 2019: I’ve updated the photos in this post but just in case you recognise the old photo, I’ve left it below.