Semolina Carrot Cake is a simple and easy vegan cake–contains no egg or dairy. It’s a delicious and lovely to enjoy with a cup of tea.
Cutting half of the plain or all-purpose flour with semolina flour gives a nice texture to this carrot cake, making it fluffy, soft but also slightly more dense that regular cake. It’s quite close to pound cake but with the nice texture, taste and aroma of using semolina flour instead of all 100% plain flour.
I was baking a chocolate cake (I have yet to pour the chocolate topping on, so bear with me, recipe
coming up soon is here!) for my sister’s friend today and as I already had the oven on , I thought I’d just put another one in for myself. I’ve been wanting to make a carrot cake for a while. I got the idea of experimenting with half semolina and half flour. It became a denser cake, was much more filling with the pleasant aroma of semolina flour.
This cake is easy and does not take much time in preparation. You can always opt out of the syrup and just add about 50g more sugar in the batter. Adding some rose water to the syrup would have been nice too but I didn’t have any rose water. I might try it next time.
- 200 g plain white flour
- 250 g semolina
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 150 g demerara sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 220 ml vegetable oil
- 350 ml water, or non-dairy milk like coconut, almond, soy milk
- 6 tablespoons vinegar (cider vinegar is best)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2-3 carrots (grated)
- 5 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 130 ml water
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius
For the cake mixture
- Mix all the dry ingredients together. Then mix all the wet ingredients together except for the carrots. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry, stirring gently with a spoon until they mix completely. Do not beat the mixture.
- Add the grated carrots. Stir and mix well.
- Pour the cake mixture in a greased rectangular dish approximately 23 cm x 30 cm x 6 cm (9x12x2.4 inch)
- Bake in oven for 45min. Test whether the cake is ready by inserted a metal rod in the cake. If it comes out dry, it's done. Otherwise, allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes until done.
- Leave the cake to cool in the dish for half an hour.
For the syrup
- Place the sugar and the water in a pan. Allow to thicken on low heat.
Pour the syrup on top of the cake.
- Cut and serve.