Turmeric Lentil Leek and Potato Soup - Pressure Cooker Recipe
With a little twist from the classic Leek and Potato Soup, this wholesome pressure cooker soup features lentils for some added protein and warm spicy notes from turmeric. It comes ready in under 30 minutes and can also be made on the stove top.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Total Time28 mins
Servings: 4 - 5 servings
- 800 g potatoes [6 - 7 medium], peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 leek white part only, finely chopped
- 150 g mixed red lentils and moong dal [¾ cup] or just use red lentils, well rinsed and drained
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon allspice or ¼ teaspoon cumin + ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube or use broth instead of water
- 1 - 1.25 litre water [4 - 5 cups] enough to cover the potatoes
- 120 ml coconut milk [1/2 cup] or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut/vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional, reduce salt if using nutritional yeast
- Fresh herbs like parsley or microgreens for garnish
Set the pressure cooker on the saute/browning setting.
Add the oil and allow to heat for about 10 seconds.
Add the leeks and saute for about 2 minutes.
Add in the rest of the ingredients.
Cancel the saute/browning setting.
Press the soup setting and adjust the time to 8 minutes. (Or set the pressure cooker on medium pressure/temperature for 8 minutes).
Place the lid on and close.
Make sure the valve is in the closed position.
Once the cooking time is up, let the pressure cooker stand for about 10 minutes then release the pressure valve. Wait until all the steam has escaped, and then carefully open the lid, shielding yourself from the steam.
You may mash the potatoes with a potato masher if you wish.
Stir in the nutritional yeast if using.
Ladle in bowls, garnish with parsley or microgreens and serve.
To make this soup on the stove, use a thick bottom pot with a lid. Follow the same procedure until you’ve added the water. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat until the potatoes, moong dal and lentils are soft, about 30 - 40 minutes. Check often, add more water if needed and stir occasionally.
Link to original recipe - Turmeric Lentil Leek and Potato Soup - https://veganlovlie.com/pressure-cooker-lentil-leek-potato-soup/