Konjac Spaghetti Stir-fry with Tempeh in Homemade Vegan Hoisin Sauce
Konjac spaghetti is perfect in a stir-fry where their delightful bouncy texture delivers a pasta-like bite similar to al dente. Toss in some vegetables and black bean tempeh, all seasoned with a homemade vegan hoisin sauce, and you can enjoy a flavourful low carb meal in relatively little time.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 3 servings
- 2 packs nuPasta Konjac Spaghetti [2 x 210 g], drained and rinsed
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 160 g black bean tempeh we made our own black bean tempeh. Substitute the soy beans in our easy tempeh making method
- 1 carrot [100 g] cut into julienne
- 60 g water chestnuts [1/3 cup] cut in halves or sliced
- 50 g bamboo shoots [1/3 cup] if whole slice them thinly
- 1 small yellow bell pepper cut into strips, [120 g with stem removed]
- 2 bok choy leaves sliced in half lengthwise then across
- 1 stem spring onion scallion
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves sliced or minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger check out some of our tips on how to mince and preserve ginger
- 2 – 3 tablespoons soy sauce more for taste and colour, use tamari for gluten-free version or our soy sauce substitute
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 heaped tablespoon miso substitute with 1 tablespoon peanut butter or tahini + 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking rice wine not vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or other sweetener like agave or date paste
- 1 – 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil if not allergic
Rehydrate the shiitake mushrooms in a small bowl of hot water. Set aside.
Meanwhile prepare the other vegetables.
Once the shiitake is rehydrated, remove the stems (if they are too tough) then slice them.
Make the hoisin sauce by mixing all the ingredients to a smooth paste in a small bowl. Set aside.
Slice the tempeh into strips.
Heat a skillet, wok or sauté pan on medium-high temperature. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
Place the tempeh strips in the skillet and pan-fry until crispy on one side, about 5 – 7 minutes. Flip and fry for another 4 – 5 minutes. Drizzle some soy sauce or tamari (for gluten-free version). Cook for 1 – 2 more minutes then remove from the pan and set aside. You may cut the tempeh in half across once they are lightly cooled.
You may continue cooking in the same pan if it is large enough.
Still on medium-high heat, add one tablespoon coconut oil to the pan.
Add the onions, garlic and minced ginger. Saute for 2 minutes.
Add the sliced shiitake mushrooms. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add some soy sauce or tamari (or homemade soy sauce substitute).
Next add in the carrots, followed by the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
Stir fry for about 4 – 5 minutes.
Add the bell peppers followed by the hoisin sauce. Stir fry for another minute.
Add the nuPasta spaghetti, the bok choy and the fried tempeh.
Toss and stir fry for a couple more minutes, just enough to reheat the noodles. You may add a few dashes of soy sauce to adjust the taste and for colour.
Lastly add the spring onions or scallions. Sprinkle some freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Serve immediately with a wedge of lime to squeeze on.