Creamy Corn Pumpkin Red Lentils Soup
Creamy red lentil soup with corn, pumpkin and turmeric is especially warming and healing for this time of the year. It's also a delightful starter to your holiday meals.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 2 teaspoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger or about 2.5cm-[1 inch]-cube fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 350 g turban squash or pumpkin, peeled and cubed (sweet dumpling or butternut squash are also good) [12 oz]
- 150 g dried red lentils [3/4 cup]
- 175 g frozen sweet corn [1 cup]
- 1 litre vegetable broth or water, more as desired for soup consistency
- 1 heaped teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder (omit if using vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 - 5 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup coconut milk canned
- 1/3 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish, finely chopped
Pressure Cooker Instructions
Set the pressure on saute mode.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil, then add the minced ginger and garlic. Saute for about 1 - 2 minutes.
Add the pumpkin and saute for about 3 minutes.
Then add in the rest of the ingredients.
Cancel the saute mode.
Place the lid on with the valve in the closed position.
Select the soup mode and set the cooking time to 14 minutes. If you don't have a soup mode, use the manual settings - medium pressure/temperature for 14 minutes.
When the time is up, allow the pressure to go down naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining steam.
Open the lid and give the soup a stir.
Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the chunky vegetables directly in the pot. Be careful not to splash the hot soup and make sure your hand blender is suitable to be immersed in hot liquids.
Else, process the soup in a blender a small batch at a time.
Pour the soup back into the pot. Taste and adjust the salt and black pepper.
Add water if needed to obtain the desired soup consistency.
Ladle into bowls, garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately accompanied with crusty bread or on its own.
Stove top Instructions
In a saucepan or thick bottom pot on medium-high heat, proceed with steps 2 - 4 as for pressure cooker instructions above.
Cover the pot then simmer for 15 - 18 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are soft. Occasionally stir the soup, check for water level and add more water if needed.
Proceed with steps 10 - 14 as above.