Plain Rougaille Sauce
An aromatic creole-style tomato-based sauce that can be served with various dishes -- rice, pasta or in this case as part of other fillings in a roti.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 3 - 4
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped or minced
- 1/2 cup onion [180 g, 6 oz]
- 8 - 10 curry leaves fresh or dried, omit if unavailable
- 1 - 2 red or green chilies adjust to taste
- 4 - 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 - 6 Roma tomatoes chopped, [700g, 25 oz]
- Chopped coriander leaves cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Salt to taste
In a skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of oil on medium temperature.
Add the minced ginger and garlic. Let these sizzle for about 15 seconds then add the onions and stir. Let cook for about 30 seconds, while stirring a few times.
Add the curry leaves followed by the tomatoes. Let cook for about 2 minutes.
Then add the the chilies and the thyme. Cook for about 7 - 10 minutes while stirring occasionally until the tomatoes start to soften and break down into a sauce. They don't need to melt completely into the sauce.
Add salt to taste and stir well.
Then turn off the heat. Garnish with the coriander leaves or parsley.