Butter Beans in Tomato Sauce
Butter Beans in Tomato Sauce is a Mauritian recipe where butter beans or giant lima beans are stewed in tomato sauce, some light spices and spring onions or garnished with other herbs.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 can butter beans drained
- ½ can tomato puree / crushed or diced/chopped [200 ml]
- 1 red onion sliced
- 4 - 5 stems spring onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika or chilli flakes (optional)
- ½ cup frozen peas (add more if you like), you may also use canned peas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) for garnish
Heat the oil in a deep pan on medium temperature.
Add the onions and garlic and saute until onions are semi-translucent.
Add tomato puree and peas. (If you are using canned peas, then add them with the butter beans).
Allow the sauce to reduce for about 10 minutes then add the butter beans followed by the spring onions.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with fresh coriander (cilantro) and serve.