Olive and Herb Scones
Light and fluffy olive and herb scones - great for meal prepping breakfasts and snacks. They are moist and aromatic with complex savoury flavours, delicious with various toppings or nothing at all. This recipe is inspired and adapted from the Cheezy Herbed Scones recipe from the Protein Ninja cookbook by Terry Hope Romero.
Prep Time8 mins
Cook Time22 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 12 scones
- 120 g light spelt flour [1 cup] (substitute with all-purpose/plain flour)
- 130 g whole spelt flour [1 cup] (substitute with whole wheat flour)
- 70 g brown rice flour [1/2 cup]
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon all-spice (substitute with sweet or smoked paprika, optional)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 240 ml soy milk* [1 cup] (or other plant-based milk like coconut milk, almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 60 ml coconut oil [1/4 cup], melted (or olive oil)
- 35 g halkidiki green olives [about 5 - 6, 1/4 cup] finely chopped
- 30 g oil-cured black olives [about 5 - 6, 1/4 cup]
- 1 - 2 stems spring onion finely chopped
- 5 - 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 - 3 tablespoons fresh parsley or basil, finely chopped
- Soy milk or other plant milk for glazing optional
Preheat the oven at 200C / 400F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients together.
Make a well in the centre.
Add the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir them together (don't combine with the dry ingredients yet).
Add the melted coconut oil followed by the olives and chopped herbs.
Draw the flour in and mix with the wet ingredients.
Lift and fold the flour until a dough is form. Use your hand when everything is almost combined.
Do not overwork the dough.
Divide the dough in two balls.
Shape and flatten each ball on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Cut each flattened dough into 6 triangles.
Lightly brush the top with some soy milk.
Bake for 20 - 22 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
*Add 2-3 extra tablespoons of milk if using wheat flour instead of spelt. These scones will keep well for 3 - 4 days (or longer) in an air-tight container in the fridge.
To reheat, place in the oven at 180C / 350F for 5 - 7 minutes or until warm.
These scones will keep well for 3 - 4 days (or longer) in an air-tight container in the fridge. To reheat, place in the oven at 180C / 350F for 5 - 7 minutes or until warm.
Link to Olive and Herb Scones recipe - https://veganlovlie.com/olive-herb-scones/
Recipes (description and instructions) are copyright © Teenuja Dahari - Veganlovlie.com and may not be republished/reprinted on other websites or elsewhere without expressed written permission from the author.