Spiced Beetroot Relish
A tangy sweet spiced beetroot relish with no added sugar. This simple easy to make beet chutney is wonderfully aromatised with ripe pears and spices. It is a delicious accompaniment to just about any meals from salads to sandwiches or use it as a dip with savoury crackers for a healthy snack.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 (or one 360-ml [12 oz] jar)
- 1 medium beetroot cooked* [200 g], peeled and coarsely grated [1 cup, packed]
- 1 Granny Smith apple [130 g], grated
- 2 ripe pears (any variety, I used Forelle), peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger [5 ml], finely chopped or minced (to make your own minced ginger, see notes)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar [45 ml] (or white / pickling vinegar)
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin [2.5 ml], (or 1/4 teaspoon ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon [2.5 ml], (or 5 cm / 2 inch stick)
- 1 star anise
- 1/3 teaspoon salt [2 ml]
Place all ingredients in a saucepan.
Simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes while occasionally stirring.
You may mash the pears as they cook.
After a while, beetroot will become somewhat gel-like.
Turn off the heat and place in a 360-ml [12 oz] jar. Close the lid.
Allow to cool before placing in the refrigerator.
This beetroot relish will keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge.
It's delicious served as a condiment with various savoury dishes, as a sandwich or wrap filler with tofu, tempeh, veggie sausages...
*The beetroot needs to be cooked before using it in this recipe because the acidic ingredients will cause it to not cook properly if used from raw.
Beetroots can be steamed or boiled with the skin on for 30 - 45 minutes until soft. You may also roast them for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours in the oven.
You may also use canned sliced beets, in which case just chop them into small pieces.
Minced ginger is easy to make at home, see this tutorial.
Link to original recipe - https://veganlovlie.com/beetroot-relish
In the "What We Eat in a Day" video that we shared a while ago, you can see a serving suggestion for this beetroot relish recipe.