Warm Rice Salad with Aubergine and Lentils
A flavourful brown and wild rice salad with aubergine (eggplant), lentils and sun-dried tomatoes. An ideal meal prep dish that can be enjoyed warm or cold.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 150 g brown and wild rice mix (or just brown rice), [1 cup]
- 1 can green lentils well drained, (or 1 cup [150 g when dried] boiled but still firm)
- 1 red onion finely sliced and chopped
- 1 aubergine (eggplant)
- 3 celery stalks chopped to small pieces
- 2-3 sun-dried tomatoes chopped into small pieces
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- Small bunch chives finely chopped for garnish
- Salt and pepper
Place rice in a deep container filled with water and bring to boil until cooked (but still firm and not mushy). Drain well and lay on a plate. Allow to cool.
Cut the aubergine into relatively small pieces (bear in mind that they will be smaller when cooked).
Sprinkle generously with salt, then cover with some water for about 2 minutes. Pour out the water and rinse out excess salt. Marinade in black bean sauce.
Pour the oil in a fry pan. Place aubergine pieces in the pan and fry, turning occasionally, until golden and soft.Remove from pan, set aside.
Place margarine in the pan. Allow to heat a little then add onions. Stir.
Then add lentils (make sure there is no water in lentils) and stir to coat every grain in the margarine.
Add chillies then sun-dried tomatoes and celery. Stir a few times.
Add rice (make sure rice is cool before adding, otherwise it will turn sticky in the pan). Stir a few times.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with some chives. Enjoy warm and with love!