3am Curry Pies
Curry pies - homemade flaky pie dough filled with curried vegetables and chickpeas. A delicious filling vegan snack or meal.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
Servings: 6 large pies
For the dough:
- 2½ cups self-raising flour
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 - 11 tablespoons water or as needed to form a soft non-sticky dough
For the curry filling:
- 1 medium-sized carrot finely chopped
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can peas
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder or fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder or hot, if you like it spicy!
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala optiona
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Handful of coriander/spring onions chopped, any herbs as desired (optional)
- Soymilk for glazing
- Water as needed to cook
For the filling:
Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Add onions, garlic, ginger, curry powder and garam masala.
Let roast for about 5 minutes, adding a little water to avoid burning.
Add chickpeas and carrots. Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little water if required.
Mash chickpeas lightly while cooking. (You can mash them more if you prefer. I like them well mashed within the pie).
Add the peas. Add enough water to have a thick consistency (neither watery nor dry).
Add herbs. Add salt to taste.
Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before filling in the pastries.
Make the pies:
To make the pies, roll each ball flat (on a floured surface) to about 14 cm in diameter.
Place some curry on one side, leave enough space around the border.
Fold in half and close by pressing along the edge with a fork.
Glaze with some soy milk and bake for 30 minutes (or until golden) at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Farenheit) on a baking tray.
Or you can also deep fry them. But do not glaze with soymilk if you are deep frying!
Link to original recipe - 3am Curry Pies - https://veganlovlie.com/curry-pies/