One of the most famous vegan classic meal is without a doubt the tofu scramble. As such, this recipe is so versatile that probably hardly anyone needs a recipe for it.
At the Lovlie Coccoon, tofu scramble is much enjoyed for breakfast with slices of homemade bread, lunch in a wrap as well as dinner over sphagetti ! May I even dare think, scrambled tofu is what keeps veganism alive?!
How you want to enjoy your tofu scramble is up to your imagination and really the sky is the limit! How about with some taco shells?
Taco shells indeed is a fun and tasty way of enjoying scrambled tofu and would even work when inviting friends over.
As mentioned, tofu scramble is infinitely flexible in terms of vegetable ingredients. So, this is probably more of a guide than it would be a recipe.
Vegetable Tofu Scramble
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 small zucchini (courgette), diced
3 button mushrooms, finely diced
250g extra-firm tofu, coarsely crumbled
1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
Handful freshly sprouted mung beans (or beansprouts)
- Add oil in a skillet or non-stick pan, tilt and turn pan to coat oil evenly. Heat for 1 minute.
- Add tofu pieces.
- Stir fry for a few minutes until lightly golden. You can press against big chunks in the pan and cut them with your wooden spatula if you like to make them smaller.
- Add soy sauce and let cook for a few more minutes (about 5 minutes).
- Add carrot, mushrooms and zucchini. Sprinkle nutritional yeast and thyme.
- Stir fry for another 3 – 4 minutes until vegetables are soft (but don’t allow them to turn mushy).
- Add paprika and salt to taste.
- Turn off heat.
- Toss a handful of sprouted mung beans.
- Warm tacos shells according to package instructions. Spoon scramble into shells and serve warm.